Riding the Guerrillla Highway

Riding the Guerrillla Highway
Buy Paper Book Online

Friday, December 13, 2013

Puerto Rico project 'las islas'

So the rain stopped and  Neri happily drove me to fajardo so I could catch a ferry to some smaller islands known  for beautiful remote beaches. I would camp at a beach park and catch the ferry the next morning. Neri is taken aback when I find a coconut, smash it on the concrete and start eating it. Coconuts would become a major part of my diet for the next week. I was the only tent at the huge grassy  camp ground. Hmmm seems sketch? The first plunge into the caribbean reminded me why I came here. The water is perfect and the night remains warm long after sunset but not too warm. Tranquilo. I spend several hours sitting in plastic chairs under the orange glow of a street light having a very deep conversation in Spanish with a lady assigned to be the all night bathroom guard. She assures me that if I just paid her 1 dollar for restroom privileges I wouldn't need to pay the $10 campground fee and could stay as long as I wanted. I share heartfelt stories and song with her as the frogs and crickets chirp for hours. This is probably the longest  puro  espanol conversation of my life. She insists that  I wake at 545 and go with her pre rooster to the ferry dock to catch the ferry which supposedly would have people waiting from 4 am. I go to bed excited for the shitshow of 'the big ferry' mañana. Feeling full of life and spreading joy!

No comments :

Post a Comment